Saturday, November 8, 2008

Firsts and Accomplishments.

So much to say. So little time. First of all, the election is over. What an exciting time to be living in...I have always wondered what it felt like to be a slave freed, march with MLK or be present for one of his incredible speeches, to feel the freedom of a woman who had the same rights as men...and while that feeling of incredible freedom will never be felt by me, I get to have been apart of a time where the first African American president was elected. The majority (who voted for Barak Obama) of our country saw no color at all and elected the person they knew to be the best choice to get our nation out of complete chaos. It is exciting to me, emotional, and all together one of the most important (historical) times of my life.A few things to be noted: my mother and most of my family members apart from my sister have a vehement hatred for our new president elect. They thought God would be in control if the McCain/Palin ticket was elected, but now that they were not "God is allowing our country to go through dark dark times." It is a little frustrating to me. I understand that "one issue voters" usually don't understand the importance of a thriving economy, illegal unjust wars started and justified with lies, health care, aid for the less fortunate. But to assume that God is only in control if the winner of a secular contest between two flawed human beings, is who you like the best, is just an abomination to me. For I truly believe and have a confidence in my God, that even if the candidate I didn't vote for was elected that God is and always will be in control. Enough of that...but I am definitely happy that they are over...hopefully people can return to their normal selves and remember what it is to be kind to those who don't always agree with you.


We finally got to hear the baby's heart beat today. I am 14 weeks and I really just thought that we would have got to hear or see something before now...so it was totally surreal to hear that sweet sound FINALLY!!! And with our little Solomon present!! We wanted him to feel apart of it, and not feel frightened or anything. He has really never been in a Dr's office and they can be pretty intimidating, so we told him what was going to happen and told him that the baby's heart was going to sound like a fast "boom boom boom boom"...and for weeks we have been talking about it. It was so exciting. I got to record his reaction. It was so much fun. We have our next appt on the 4th of December...and we have scheduled our ultrasound to find out what we are having (sorry Corin, we just aren't as strong as you hehe) for next month as well.

I'm really loving Ina May's Guide To Childbirth. I loved all of the birth stories so much and they really helped me feel a connection to other mothers who have given birth in their homes surrounded by people who love them, in they way birth was initially intended. I'm feeling much more confident and am hoping that things work out so that we can have the birth that we want...whatever that ends up being. Does anyone have book/movie recommendations for me to help me surround myself in all things home birth????

Our move is in less that two months. I can't believe it. And after 7 1/2 long and hard years full of sweat and tears, Will is FINALLY graduating in FIVE WEEKS!!! Oh I am SOOOO excited for him. I cannot imagine what it feels like to accomplish something like a Doctorate...but I am SOOOO proud of him and all of his hard work.

Solomon has moved into a HUGE language explosion and with that came a (very age appropriate) stuttering stage. Had I not had friends who had gone through the same thing with their 2 1/2 year olds, I would have probably been a freaked out mess. It is supposed to just pass once the child adjusts from speaking in 3-4 word sentences to 7-8 and more word sentences. He is seriously so stinking smart, picks up all the words I DO NOT want him to say, and has the memory of...well...of something with a really good memory!!!

Thats puts us just about up to date I think. I have some more Halloween photos to post...hopefully I can do that soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOWWWW!!! Baby's heart!! So exciting Amber! :) And I can't believe that Will is done in 5 weeks. What an amazing time for you guys. :)

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Hey, sorry I never texted you back. I just remembered about that. By the time I got it, Will had already talked to Will. Sorry! I love that you took Solomon to the appointment and that you got it all on video; how very, very special. I am really excited to find out whether it's a baby boy or a baby girl in there. :) Oh, and I knew someone was going to comment on all of my water bottles. Sheesh! :)