Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Binkie Rehab

Well...I must say, our first day without binkies only got worse...it was terrible. He was getting physically sick...i don't know if it was from anxiety or from crying so much but he had a stomach ache and a headache and was obviously miserable to be around...


I didn't even want to try and put him to bed that night because I couldn't take all of the drama of him not having a binkie. We had to pick Will up (he was away for business) from the airport and it was an hour drive...Wills plane came in at 10 and Solomon is usually asleep by 8...so...we left at 9 pm and I noticed a few things. He was soooo much more talkative (and the child is rarely quiet so that is saying a lot) and I wondered how much binkies were holding him back. He told me every single thing he noticed on the drive there. Also, he was super touch and attached to me, which is rare...he wanted to hold my hand while I drove and stuff, so that was really special. By the time we got home it was midnight and Will carried him up to bed as he was already asleep...whew...drama avoided. April sleeps in bed with him and she said that in the middle of the night, she heard him sucking and thought we had given in and given him a bink to sleep with. She felt him mouth and he was sucking in his sleep...poor baby.


The next day he was sooo anxious. He was really clingy...REALLY clingy even to me, which is abnormal. Will went to put him down for a nap...he had been beside himself ALL DAY...after 90 minutes of trying, Will and I had a meeting...we decided that we were going to...gasp...give him the binkie for sleeping only! We lied...and said we bought him a sleeping binkie...and its only for sleep...we will take it away as soon as he wakes up and keep it in a special spot. Will gave it to him and before we left his room he was almost out.


How can he NOT fall asleep without it???? I mean, its just sooooo hard for him. Its really frustrating but at this point, I cannot be battling for hours to get him to nap, or risk having him skip a nap, because with 2 kids...that quiet time is CRUCIAL!!! So for now...it seems to work for us. He is more plesant, he isn't asking for it constantly, and we dont even give him the bink to sleep with unless or until he asks for it...so that is where we are...


Here are some photos of our somewhat failed ceremony...







No comments: